Jan is a Senior Research Fellow at the Centre on Innovation and Energy Demand (CIED) based at the Sussex Energy Group (SEG) at SPRU, University of Sussex. He is also an Honorary Research Associate at the Lower Carbon Futures Group of Oxford University's interdisciplinary Environmental Change Institute and at Freie Universität Berlin, Environmental Policy Research Centre. Jan lectured and supervised students on the MSc in Nature, Society and Environmental Policy at the School of Geography, Oxford University and the MSc in Economics and Policy of Energy and the Environment at University College London's Energy Institute. Jan also conducted research at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California.
Jan is interested in the politics of energy efficiency. In his research he focuses on policy instruments that support energy efficiency improvements, policy design and evaluation, the role of the policy mix, energy efficiency finance and the Europeanisation of energy efficiency. He also has an interest in fuel poverty policy and the equity implications of energy policy in general. In the past, Jan worked on environmental and energy economics, mainly in the area of external costs of energy. He is a reviewer for the journals Nature Energy, Energy Policy, Climate Policy, Ecological Economics, Energy Efficiency, Economics of Energy & Environmental Policy, Energy and Buildings, Building Research & Information, Journal of Cleaner Production, Energy Conversion and Management, Energy Research & Social Science, Energies, and Sustainability as well as a book reviewer for Springer.
For a full list of publications based on his research please visit Publications. Jan also has a profile on Google Scholar.
- Prof Nick Eyre (Oxford University)
- Prof Steven Sorrell (Sussex University)
- Dr Louis-Gaëtan Giraudet (Stanford University)
- Dr Tina Fawcett (Oxford University)
- Dr Ray Galvin (Cambridge University and RWTH Aachen)
- Dr Nick Howarth (King Abdullah Petroleum Studies And Research Center)
- Dr Florian Kern (Sussex University)
- Dr Karoline Rogge (Sussex University)
- Dr Paolo Bertoldi (European Commission, Joint Research Centre)
- Dr Zsuzsanna Pató (Corvinus University of Budapest)
- Dr Vlasis Oikonomou (Joint Implementation Network)
- Dr Richard Cowart
- Dr Veit Bürger (Oeko-Institut)
- Dr Clemens Rohde (Fraunhofer Institute)
- Brooke Flanagan (Future Climate)
- Dr Kora Kristof (Umweltbundesamt)
- Prof Stefan Lechtenböhmer (Wuppertal Institut)
- Prof Wolfgang Irrek (Hochschule Ruhr West)